Lesson #3 –Became an Animator RECAP
This is the most common question I receive so I decide to make this very fast introduction to the Animation World and guide a bit those who want to work as 3D animator:
Be a Character Animator…is GREAT! I love this job and I wouldn’t change it even if sometimes it makes you angry or frustrating, but all the emotions that this job can give you (whether good or bad) …worth it! 😉
But, any other job, it have his Positive and Negative aspects, so…let’s make a list!
————-Are you still motivated and convinced to go ahead? COOL! Let’s see what’s the first steps to do…
- Download a TRIAL version of a 3D software: you can choose between different softwares available, Maya and 3D Max (both by Softimage) are the most common.
I always suggest Maya! It’s probably the best if you want to do animation and is very used in production companies. (3D MAX maybe is more suited if you want to specialize in Modeling IMO)
- Watch some tutorials for the software interface! This programs are pretty complex so at the beginning, just focus on the interface for Animation———————————————————————-
- Study the PRINCIPLES OF ANIMATION
TIMING / STAGING / ANTICIPATION / FOLLOW THROUGH / ARCS / EXAGGERATION and so on…
- Start to do some simple and basic animation exercise on Maya.
Don’t use any complex character. You just need a sphere…
…let it BOUNCE….and bounce………and bounce again…
- Chose a simple character and start to create some poses! Standing. Pushing. Runnning. etcetera… Study the rules for posing a character:
Lines of actions / Silhouette / Appeal——————————————————————–
- Now you can try with facial expression! Use some references to create some of the more common expressions: HAPPY / ANGRY / SAD / DISAPPOINTED / SCARED——————————————————————–
- ASK for feedbacks! Be sure that your are doing right…
DON’T start to do too complex animations before you learned and well understood this principles!——————————————————————–
- Chose a nice rig on the web and create your first ACTING SHOT!
Take a short audio track from a movie and… animate!——————————————————————–
- Create your ANIMATION REEL! Where to mix together the best exercises ands animations you created and …look for a company that needs animators! 😉——————————————————————–